Senior / U23 Competitve Program
The Senior / U23 Competitive Rowing program is geared toward rowers (aged 19+) who have finished a Learn-to-Row program, or have previous rowing experience. This program runs year round and is geared towards competitive athletes looking to challenge themselves in the sport. This program requires a commitment to 6 – 12 training sessions per week, and is divided into three levels.
- Level 1 – trains 4x/week, this group introduces athletes to the competitive side of rowing, with emphasis on skill development.
- Level 2 – trains 6-8x/week, after completing a minimum of one season in Level 1 an athlete may progress to Level 2, this group compunds on skills developed and introduces higher training volume and commitment.
- Level 3 – trains 8-12x/week, only athletes with Coach approval may train in the Level 3 group, this group is geared towards athletes that want to take their competitive rowing to the next level – and perhaps one day represent Canada at a world rowing event!
From April through October, training will be outside on the Credit River in Mississauga. During the winter months, training is conducted indoors at the rowing club. The Senior program attends numerous regattas (races) throughout the year:
- Spring: Mother’s Day Regatta, RCA Spring Trials
- Summer: Canada Day Regatta, CORA Regattas, Ontario Rowing Championships, Royal Canadian Henley
- Fall: Head of the Welland, Head of the Trent, Head of the Fish, Head of the Charles
- Winter: Canadian Indoor Rowing Championships, Ontario Indoor Rowing Championships
The Senior program also holds a “Spring Training Camp” in February or March to help refresh rowing skills and fitness at the start of the Spring season, and to provide a much-needed break from the cold Canadian weather. Past training camps have been held in Arizona, Texas and Mexico.