Junior Competitive Program
The Junior Competitive Rowing program is geared toward rowers (aged 14 – 18) who have finished a Learn-to-Row or Youth Summer Camp program, or have previous rowing experience. This program runs year round and is geared towards competitive athletes looking to challenge themselves in the sport.
This program requires a commitment to 4 – 12 training sessions per week, and is divided into three levels based on skill level and commitment. Juniors that have just finished a Learn-to-Row or Youth Summer Camp program will begin in Level 1, with programs beginning in June and in September (detailed below).
- Level 3 – trains 4x/week, this group introduces athletes to the competitive side of rowing, with emphasis on skill development.
- Level 2 – trains 6-8x/week, after completing a minimum of one season in Level 3 an athlete may progress to Level 2, this group compounds on skills developed and introduces higher training volume and commitment.
- Level 1 – trains 8-12x/week, only athletes with Coach approval may train in the Level 1 group, this group is geared towards athletes that want to take their competitive rowing to the next level – and perhaps one day represent Canada at a world rowing event!
From April through October, training will be outside on the Credit River in Mississauga. During the winter months, training is conducted indoors at the rowing club. The Senior program attends numerous regattas (races) throughout the year:
- Spring: Mother’s Day Regatta, High School Invitational, CSSRA Regatta
- Summer: Canada Day Regatta, CORA Regattas, Ontario Rowing Championships, Royal Canadian Henley
- Fall: Head of the Welland, Head of the Trent, Head of the Fish, Head of the Charles
- Winter: Canadian Indoor Rowing Championships, Ontario Indoor Rowing Championships
The Junior program also holds a “Spring Training Camp” during March break to help refresh rowing skills and fitness at the start of the Spring season, and to provide a much-needed break from the cold Canadian weather. Past training camps have been held in Arizona, Texas and Mexico.